Thread: Protein Powder
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 09:27 PM
pennycandy

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I don't think the author meant that egg whites don't contain protein but rather egg white powder is different from what is commonly known as protein powder. Protein powder can have the main ingredient as soy, whey, egg white etc but it also has other ingredients and can come in flavors. There are some protein powders that are unflavored a well. Many protein powders contain some form of sweetener. Read the ingredients.
I use an unflavored protein powder when I make some baked goods such as muffins. It tends to add a dryness to the finished good so I add mashed ripe banana for extra moistness.
I think you misunderstood whom I was answering. Tate asked: "So dried egg whites should be protein in powder form. Right?" Dried egg whites are protein in powder form. If you look at the example I gave for the egg white protein powder, egg albumin is the protein source, xylitol and stevia are sweeteners, natural flavor is self explanatory, xanthan gum is a thickener and lecithin is an emulsifier. Ingredients are listed by volume from greater amount to least. I see no reason why someone couldn't use powdered egg whites replace egg white protein powder. I would cut back on the amount of protein powder asked for in the recipe and add a bit of sweetener to compensate.