View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM
oldtnquiltinglady

All these wonderful stories about our LAs today. I love it. I have a Gammill Classic because we (DH and I) got lost on our way to Branson one time and ended up going through the town where the Gammill factory is located; right on the side of the road (I saw those letters up on the side of that big building and screamed "Gammill, we have to turn around and go back and look at them" and got this rolled-eye look from him "what are you talking about"....we went back, went in, they treated us like royalty, showed me all their machines on the showing room floor, and sent me to the person in GA previously mentioned as being a Gammill distributor/sales facility. Two weeks later, they drove in with mine, set it up, showed me how to run it and service it, and for the most part, I have been a happy camper ever since.

My son is my quilter though. He taught himself how to manage the big machine, service it, make sure the tension is right, what thread to use, loads the quilts with ease and quilts one out while I sit there piecing another one for him. We have done some quilting for others, but mostly I use mine for family/friends and loved ones.

Do take some of the advice regarding shopping around, if you are not familiar with quilting machines. They are another animal compared to your Singer/Elna/Bernina (whatever). And you do need lots of extra space--so if your sewing room isn't so big, be prepared for a remodeling job for your present home, or a new one with lots more room than you currently have.

Best wishes.