View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 03:23 PM
caspharm

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
The best known name isn't always the best machine. Just because it costs the most, doesn't mean it is top of the line. There are many great LA out there. Innova is my top choice but I am biased. However, I know many proud "Innovians" who have upgraded from Gammill, APQS, A1 and Handiquilter to Innova.

When I was first searching I saw many, many used Gammills and APQS on the market for resale. I never came across an Innova. Those of us who have them do not give them up and if we upgrade, we upgrade to another Innova. Just my .02
I'm with you, feline fanatic. However, I also agree with feline fanatic's comment that you should take a class to see if you like using a LA, then test drive. I learned on a Nolting and then used a Gammill at my then LQS (class and then renting). I personally wasn't impressed with the Gammill when I was renting time(too heavy, too much maintenance - including worrying about getting oil on my quilt).

When we moved, I ended up with room for a LA and started test driving other brands (Tin Lizzie, HandiQuilter), but fell in love with the Innova after it was recommended by a member of my new guild. I went to the dealer/distributor near my home and test drove it. It also included a 3 day training class and is low maintenance. I am 5'2" and I have a 26" Innova with the Lightening stitch (the higher end stitch regulator - no computer). I like do on point blocks sometimes and it is easier to fit the whole block in the space, because I get about 22" of quilting space with the 26" machine. I would suggest you get the largest quilting space you can handle, especially if you plan to add a computer. With the Innova, it is also easier to do add ons and upgrades without buying a new machine each time.

Other considerations, is he planning on you going into business or is this just for you?