Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Rodney

Shipping is a killer these days. Overall I think you did ok. Pink machines generally go higher than other colors except maybe turquoise/white on a real good example of a dashboard machine. Rewiring these old machines is a really common repair. Just take your time and take pictures so you can put it back together when you're done. You'll do fine.

I buy old appliance and computer power cords at thrift stores. The last time I checked, black 2 conductor lamp cord was $.59 a foot and the plug ends were about $3.00 at the hardware store and extension cords were about the same money. It's usually under $1.00 to buy a used power cord at the thrift store. The thrift store cord comes with the bonus of a nice molded plug end too.

For a truly old machine that originally had cloth covered wire I'd spend extra to keep it looking original.

When I get the chance I'm going to experiment with dying power cables. I've seen a few sites on the internet where people have had success. It might be a way to match some of the different colored power cords found on some machines like the blue or green ones used on some Singers.
Rodney