View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 AM
Jeanne S

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Jeanne,
You make me so interested to try some summer veggie gardening again in my new place starting in July. I can start little seed pots on my screened in porch now and plant when I get moved to the new place. It sounds so easy as you've described!

Thanks,
Jan in VA
Jan,
Here is a couple of pictures of my little garden that I took this morning. I use lots of supports to grow everything vertically that I can due to limited space. But the hay/straw method works great, and makes it so easy. I also start my plants from seed indoors under a grow light in February so they are ready to move outside in early April (other than green beans and okra and spinach that I plant from seed). Almost no weeding or watering. I usually buy a bale or two of hay/straw each fall after the Halloween decorations go on sale at the gardening centers for $2 each. (Or I find them free on the curbs that neighbors have set out for the trash men to pick up!!) I cover my garden area with it in the late fall and leave it on all winter--no spring weeds when I am ready to plant! Happy gardening.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]517903[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517904[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1110960.jpg   p1110958.jpg