Old 04-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Quincunx

Oh, it's one of those! How in the world do you get it to start making the stretch stitches? I was turning the knobs on one but never found the right way.

The buttonhole scissors are unstuck! I was putting in oil and scraping out oily goo. It finally came to me. There is no japanning on scissors so using alcohol was Ok. I put alcohol in the little hollow with the screw and ALL the goo came out. Now the ratchet and pawl fold out and stop the scissor blades the way they are supposed to. The notches are numbered but the numbers only seem to be a guide to which notch is which and not the measurements of the buttonholes. The patent date is Jan. 1910. I found no good matches for it. I am sad though since there is a great patent for June 1910 for sensible scissors as complicated as a Swiss army knife. Just imagine those at a sewing expo today. She knew what tools a home sewist needed.

And I love these buttonhole scissors. I never knew that it was possible to cut buttonholes quickly. And a few weeks ago I bought a sewing box on Craigslist to get a Singer buttonholer so now those two will go together.