View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Suzanne57

When I made my GFG using the same punch making 1" hexies, I cut my material into 2 1/2" squares and basted only through the material, not the paper (110 weight card stock). I also used a regular paper punch to put a hole in the center so they would be easier to pop out after whip stitching them together. I used a tiny office supply binder clip to pin the paper to the material as it wouldn't stick me like a straight pin would. I started out not trimming the corners, then decided that it would be easier to hand quilt if that extra bulk was not there. It is easier to trim them before sewing together if you decide to trim. No need to remove basting thread unless you used a very dark color on a very light patch. I used up some old cheap white thread that wasn't good enough for the actual sewing the pieces together. Might as well use up that old thread that has no other use than basting. Basting the hexies is a good project for trips. I basted a lot during auctions. The light wasn't good enough to sew the pieces together though. I needed my "Mag-Eyes" and a good light to see those tiny stitches. Good luck.

Last edited by Suzanne57; 04-24-2015 at 12:19 PM.