View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 07:36 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Very neat DH! Go for it--but do try out all the ones you can at a big show, take a class or two to see if you really want to do this (different skill set from piecing and even from quilting on DSM). Most big shows also have some LA classes--just make sure you are taking a hands-on class for beginner. Do lots of research via internet and then make a list of features you must have/want/can live without. My used Gammill is 14' table (if I'd been buying new I'd have gotten a 12'), has a 30" throat--but I could have done just fine with little smaller. One thing you may keep in mind, if you purchase used from an individual, you might get pantos,rulers, etc--which was my case and meant I got about $500 worth of accessories thrown in. If I had been able to include some things I really would have liked, it would be hydraulic lifts on the table to allow easy up/down. The new Gammills have the back handles offset so pantos don't result in achy neck/shoulders--that would be nice. And several machines have a lock stitch now too.
Have fun! And include your husband in the search--you want him to be able to help with the routine maintenance that comes with a LA!