Old 04-25-2015, 04:53 AM
SherylM

I was so glad to read this thread because this is exactly what I'm dealing with right now! Making a 96" x 96" quilt for my son and his fiance, and faced with ironing that 108" wide fabric, I've been procrastinating all week. Last night I finally decided that the quilting fairy isn't going to come do it for me, so I kinda sorta figured it out.

I set up my ironing boards (I'm a piker, Onebyone; I only have two! ) a couple feet apart, folded my fabric in half selvage to selvage so I wasn't working with the entire width of it flopping around. I'm ironing it double-thickness, staying away from the fold so I don't put a crease in it. When I'm done with one side, I'll flip it over and do the other one.

As I iron on one board, I drape the pressed fabric over the other board (a couple feet in front of it) so it's not laying on the floor getting wrinkled again. And the dog isn't walking on it.

When I've done that, I'm going to re-fold it end to end and iron it again the same way, so the part with the fold gets ironed and the whole thing gets a double dose of starch. I know it sounds like I'm doing twice as much work and that it will take longer, but I think it will be less stressful for me than wrestling with a full width of fabric. Right now, most of this is theoretical, as I only got part of it done last night before my back gave out and I had to call it quits for the night.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited by SherylM; 04-25-2015 at 05:01 AM.