Thread: mailing a quilt
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Friday1961

I just mailed, from Texas, a toddler size quilt to a friend in Tennessee, using US Postal Service. I wrapped it in white tissue then put it in one of those plastic zip cases that sheets come in, and then in a sturdy cardboard box I happened to have (about 14x14x6). I did seal all seams with clear plastic shipping tape. I chose 2 day delivery which cost about $14.00. I didn't insure it but it was not heirloom quality, just a child's quilt I'd made for my friends. The package arrived safely and on time, and apparently without harm. My friend didn't mention any problems when she called to thank me.

Another time, though, I think I might use a flat rate box from the p.o. Not sure what the difference would have been in mailing costs had I done that this time.

Edited to add: I purposefully did not indicate what was inside the box, either in writing or when I mailed it. The clerk only asked me if the contents were hazardous. I did include a note to the recipient but at the rate I paid, I believe I paid for that.

Last edited by Friday1961; 04-25-2015 at 05:03 PM.