View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 03:08 AM
donna13350

Does that mean you can take a cutting from a rose bush and stick it in the ground and it will grow?? how doyou get it rooted and growing??[/QUOTE]
I take a cutting and gently scrape off the growing nubs at the bottom of the cutting, then stick it in the ground with a milk jug over the top of it (cut the bottom off).....if you don't keep the humidity in the stem, it will quickly die. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy.I also put my cuttings down under a large bush so they are shaded and only get morning sun. The rooting ratio is low, so figure for every 8 or so cuttings, you might get one to root, especially as a newbie, but with time and practice, you'll get there. Don't disturb them..new roots are very fragile and if you tug or pull at them, you'll undo everything you wanted to do. It will take a good 6 or 8 weeks to get roots. Here, I just leave my milk jug on till the next spring..it gives them cover in the winter when they're young and more fragile...then I transplant them out to where I want them.
There are tons of tutorials on the web, just google "how to propagate a rose bush", or "rose bush stem cuttings"...