Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 AM
Jeanne S

Default Need Your Improvement Ideas/Suggestions On This One!

OK friends, I need your help! I saw the MSQ tutorial where Jenny used the 3 Dudes jelly roll pattern to make a quick quilt: easy pattern using 2 1/2" strips sewn in 4 strip sets, crosscut in 8 1/2" squares. Then one square is laid horizontal, another placed on top laid vertically, sew 1/4" around all four sides then cut a diagonal "X" corner to corner. When cut, you get 4 cute blocks with half the strips going vertical and half horizontal. When she placed the blocks together, she got a nice secondary pattern with a diamond pattern in every 4-block larger square.
Well, I did all that, but it didn't come out as I expected: the secondary diamond pattern seems to be totally lost and it just looks all 'jumbled' to me! While this quilt is for charity and 'just OK' to me, I would like to make it again and have it look better.
I used 8 different fabrics, and just randomly sewed the 4-strip sets together. So is that my problem--should I have made all the strip sets the same or just 2 variations? Or is it my fabric selections--are they too bright or busy? Is the mix of solids and prints the problem? Or is it that my color values are all about the same--not enough light/dark variance? I would really like your suggestions on how to make my next one look better so that the secondary pattern will show up. This shouldn't be that hard, but I am baffled on this one! Thanks for your thoughts!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518050[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1110954.jpg