View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 AM
SewExtremeSeams

Default DGK Sewing Projects

Had the pleasure of 2 of my grandkids visiting this past weekend. My DGD wanted to make PJs for her 18" doll. Sew... I printed out the pattern for her, taught how to cut on the lines, then I pinned the pattern and she cut them out of the fabric. Next was onto one of my vintage machines. She sewed everything herself except the cuffs on the legs and sleeves, the neckline and the velcro. We glued the seams for the shoulders so she wouldn't have to work with pins in such a short space. Then she worked with pulling pins out on the straight seams before sewing over them. Needless to say she was very proud of her accomplishment.

My DGS wanted to make a pillow for his beloved cat, Thomas. I sewed the pillow form and then taught him how to unfluff the stuffing and to fill the corners first, then the rest of the pillow. I thought he did a very good job. His sister offered to hand sew the opening closed. He was so thrilled with it I sent him home with the rest of the stuffing and sewed a larger pillow form for him to stuff at home. Sister offered to sew that opening closed also. Can't wait for photos.

They both enjoyed sewing on a few of my vintage machines (without thread), one being a 1989 treadle. They sewed various shapes with computer paper, perforating the paper and the separating the paper. My grandson has learned to thread my Singer 401A by himself. DGD isn't quite interested yet.
Attached Thumbnails ruby-her-first-doll-pj-she-sewed-2.jpg   ruby-sewing-pj-her-doll-2.jpg   r-handsewing-pillow-closed-3.jpg   taylor-learned-stuff-his-first-pillow-3.jpg  

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 04-27-2015 at 08:28 AM.