Thread: African Kanga
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 AM
durblady

I'm a few years behind you but my daughter has also returned from a mission trip to Tanzania and has asked me to create a quilt for her from one of the khangas she brought back. The khanga has a center panel of royal blue with small flowers that is bordered on all 4 sides. I was planning to cut and miter the borders to create vertical stripes on the quilt and add horizontal strips between each border with the royal blue fabric and other purchased contrasting materials. I am so thrilled to see this thread (and to find this board!) and will look through the suggestions to see if I can find other ideas. I am curious if anyone has had trouble mixing the khanga with other fabrics when it comes to sewing it or caring for the quilt?

Originally Posted by luana View Post
My niece has returned from a Mission trip to Tanzania. She has asked me to make her Kanga (wrap) into a quilt. This is the information I have about the fabric from the salvage.
21st CENTRUY TEXTILE LTD. (POLYTEX) MONOGORA, MALIYA ASANTE, TANZANIA D.No.2817

I have her permission to cut it up. I really hope someone here can help me. Here are my questions.
How can I determine the fiber content? or is that improtant?
I want to maintain an African design. American patchwork does not seem right. Does anyone have an idea for a pattern?
Is there a color you would add?
Thanks so much for your help. I will try to post a picture.