View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM
cricket_iscute

This is an interesting discussion. I've noticed that humidity affects thread. When thread is too dry, I mist it with water and leave it in a plastic bag overnight, problem solved. Or I put it in the freezer for a day or so, and problem solved. I sometimes use Sewer's Aid, and that helps.

I have a Singer 500, 401, 301, 201, and 221 among others. They are my go-to machines. I use them frequently. (They are both upstairs and in the basement, so different humidity.) I used to have the thread mess on these machines and others, even though I had sewed for years at that point. Then I tried, and now routinely use, a hint a quilting teacher gave me. For years now, I have had no thread mess on any machine whatsoever.

The secret? Take a small piece of fabric, a small scrap no more than 2 inches by 2 inches, the type of fabric you are using for the project or just 100 percent cotton, double it (even leaving it single works) and take your first four stitches in it. Use the hand wheel if necessary. Leave it attached. Sew one or two stitches on air. Start your seam as normal. Remove the thread starter (the small fabric) when you are done and re-use it until it is full. No thread nest!

I also keep my machines clean, oiled and lubed, and in good repair.

HTH,
Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 04-29-2015 at 12:02 PM.