View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 06:42 PM
Barb in Louisiana

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
I would iron the pattern first. Somewhere cut the pattern in half. Using some kind of paper, tape the top to it. Measure 6 inches down and tape the other half. Draw a line to bring the sides to a matching point, you may have to move the seam line a little but this should work.
I don't think this will work like you think. When you cut the pattern in half and move it further down, you don't add to the circumference (the outer circle) so what you will get is a cupped effect unless you put more pieces in the skirt.

The way I add to length on an item that must lay flat, is like nativetexan. I put some type of paper under the ironed pattern and then just draw the side lines an extra 6 inches. Then taking a ruler, use the outside edge as a guide and mark all around the circle. This will give you a pattern with the same amount of pieces, but larger circumference.

Forgot to add: either tape the extra paper to the original pattern or pin it together. You don't want it to move as you are cutting out the new size pieces.