Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Quilter7x

Originally Posted by mysacrifice
Rachel, I have both the 440QE and the Janome and I can speak HIGHLY about both. I use my Bernina for Patchwork and for Embroidery, but truthfully, the Janome can do patchwork just as well, if not better than the Bernina. I use the Janome for all free motion quilting and stitchin' in the ditch quilting. I've used it for patchwork once or twice and it works great there too. I really like the bright light on the Janome and if you can get the table as well, it is certainly worth its weight in gold! Please feel free to PM me any addt'l questions you may have.
I went to quilt show this past summer with a couple of friends and we decided to take a class where a local quilt shop offered the machines so that we didn't have to bring our machines/tools.

I own a Janome Memory Craft 9000 that I wouldn't trade for anything. It's about 12 years old and I paid top dollar for it because it had just come out. It does small embroidery and is an absolute workhorse. I also own a Janome Jem Platinum that I take to classes with me because it's lightweight. I love both Janome machines ... however, I do get some loops on the back when doing free motion quilting. I am aware that I can play with the tension.

Back to the quilt show; the local quilt shop provided us all with brand new Bernina 440 machines. Some of our class was on free motion quilting and I was blown out of the water at how beautiful the FMQ was on the Bernina.

I have since talked to my local sewing machine shop's owner about my Janome's (that I bought from him) and the Bernina. He said Bernina is known for beautiful stitches and is an excellent machine for FMQ. He also said that my MC 9000 is one of the best machines Janome has made. He has a brand new Bernina 155 (a basic machine) for $750 right now that I'm thinking of buying. The MC 9000's go for around $1,000 or less now. The MC 9000 has the needle up/down and knee lift lever that you talked about as well as tons of other nice features. The knee lift lever was something I had never heard of before looking at this machine and was very much a selling point for me. I cannot imagine not having one now, it is that helpful!

I have been looking on eBay for Bernina machines and they do have them. Looking there might give you an idea of the going prices for all brands of machines.

I totally agree with the ladies who say you have to sit at a machine and and have someone show you how to use it and tell you what each machine's benefits are. You've done excellent research, but the machine has to feel right for you. No shop will be offended if you want to try the machines before deciding on what to buy.

Best of luck and please let us all know what you decide. :)