Old 04-30-2015, 04:34 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
OH you lucky girl!
I use my Juki-TL98Q daily for hours at a time...just give her oil and keep lint out and she works like a dream...I use standard sewing machine oil with the long squirter. Standard needles, but I am experimenting with the new Schmetz Titanium needles and they really do last longer. I think I had this last one in the machine for over a week.

I don't have a frame...no room. But when I'm FM'ing I set my kitchen timer for 1 hour. It forces me to get up and get away from the machine...otherwise I'm a cripple the next day.
That's definitely something I did was service that TL98 often and regularly. I really do like the titanium needles too. I think mine are Organ needles... the same as Superior Threads has.

Setting a timer is a great idea. I can go for a long time too but then I'm a write off as well the next day or even 2 sometimes! Neck shoulders and lower back. My saddle stool made a big difference to my endurance too. It seems to enforce better posture.

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
Looks great and I wish you lived next door to me. LOL Have a great time.
My next door neighbor hugged me when she found out that was in the house. By the time she brought a quilt to me though, that setup had been replaced. The proceeds from selling that setup though went toward the new machine.

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Congratulations on a great trade. Show us pictures of your quilting efforts. And don't do what I did--I was the proud and happy owner of a Gammill Classic for over a year before I even had the nerve to approach it. It seemed so BIG. But my son has me all trained on it now, and I can load (all three rollers, sometimes upside down, so do-overs) and quilt a quilt in a day if I stay at it all day long. I am glad that I don't have to do FMQ, one of my quilting lessons included lessons in FMQ, and I failed that part miserably. Too much scrunching, and wadding, and gathering on the back between pins......
FMQ is much harder than free motion on a frame. Jamie Wallen says the long arm is like a pencil and the quilt is the paper.

FMQ on a domestic is harder because we're used to moving the pencil, not a huge cumbersome king sized "paper".

That setup (This thread is almost 2 years old! ) was replaced less than 6 months later with an APQS Lucey. This is what the Lucey corner of my studio (in the basement) looks like today plus a couple of finishes. This is the part of the studio I'm willing to show, the other side of this pic has 2 sewing machines in pieces getting some appearance treatments on my cutting table / bench!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518422[/ATTACH]

This is the whole cloth behind Lucey:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518423[/ATTACH]

A lap quilt for me: I put the borders on wrong, I always seem to with mitered borders, that's why it waves. Cuddle Minky on the back that shows the design.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518424[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518425[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518426[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4073.jpg   img_3646.jpg   img_2336.jpg   img_2343.jpg   img_2344.jpg