View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
While that would certainly Work Madamekelly, I am looking to make one in either denim or a light gaberdine wool.
The re-issue patterns by Simplicity, McCalls and Butterick have the advantage of familiarity (the patterns are printed, instructions use modern terminology) and they're multiple sizes. In Australia, our local stockist often has $5 for any pattern offers ($4.50 if you're a member). My GF and I head over straight away and grab the vintage ones. I have loads of renaissance, medieval, Victorian and civil war patterns just because they were cheap (like myself, I hasten to add before someone else thinks it). Doubt I'll ever make these up though: Civil war dresses (e.g. Simplicity 3855) take 20 yards of lush fabric. I think Glenn (Skip) makes civil war clothes, you might want to ask him about it.

The Etsy vendors who make them charge hundreds but considering what goes into them I don't think they're going to retire on the profits any time soon.

If you want authenticity, Steve's books are pretty much it, but it will take a lot of time and effort to learn.
If you want your garment without too much hassle I'd go for the reproductions.