View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Rodney

Nice job Tammi! I've been messing with a mid 70s (I think) Kenmore free arm. Model 158.xxxxx with built in decorative stitches. It's by far the most complicated machine I've opened up. It's a friend's machine who inherited it from her grandmother. It had sat long enough that it was pretty frozen up from dried oil. The bobbin winder was stuck along with the feed dogs wouldn't lower on their return stroke, the buttonholer drive was frozen and it wouldn't change stitch patterns. A lot of disassembling and wiggling things until they were free. I had to tear the bottom end apart to get to the parts of the feed dog mechanism that were stuck. 2 drops of oil and a little wiggling back & forth and the main problem was solved. Trouble is I had to tear it down far enough that I messed up the timing. I've got it back together and the timing is close now but I'm still getting a few missed stitches especially on the decorative stitches. On the plus side I've learned a lot from it and it's keeping me out of trouble. I'm hoping to have it done by
Monday when I see them again.
Rodney