Thread: Blue vs green
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 08:21 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
Last week I got a great deal (60% off) on a cutting mat/ironing board thing...not sure what it's called.... The mat on it is blue.....let me tell you, the blue mats do NOT allow you to cut good. It's NOT the blade. It kept skipping sections as if the blade had a ding in it. I got out my green mat and the blade cuts just fine,
i think you will find that most of the combination ironing/cutting mats will create this same problem. I have had a June Tailor one for close to 20 years, and find that it works best for pressing, but for cutting small pieces at the machine, I lay a small self-healing cutting mat on it, seems that rotary blades skitter on it and create the same problems you describe. I think it is a combination of what the cutting surface is made of and too much padding for the ironing surface. I have seen people using the combination ones that are hinged like a book, and they have no problem.

Two years ago, I bought the Fiskars mats that are pale green on one side and yellow on the other because I had so much trouble seeing to cut on the darker olfa ones.