View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM
HouseDragon

There's an important piece of information missing: does your DIL already know how to sew?

If she does, there are plenty of good recommendations in this thread.

But if she doesn't already know how to sew, I think your son should buy her the machine at a shop that includes lessons.

Buying a machine at a big box store or online could turn out to be "Penny wise, pound foolish" if she'll have to pay for lessons. Not to mention some shops don't like to give lessons on a brand of machine they don't carry. There's also service and annual "checkups" to consider.

Do they live close enough for you to give her lessons, if needed?

Originally Posted by thyme2quilt View Post
My son wants to get a sewing machine for his wife for her birthday. He asked me for a recommendation and I don't think I can help him. It's been awhile since I've been machine shopping. But I said I knew who would be able to help! QB!

He doesn't want anything fancy and would like to stay in the $100-$300 range. Is that even possible? I guess I'm looking for personal experience with a low-end, reliable machine. I used to have a Kenmore that I loved! But I don't know the quality of them now or even if they're around anymore.

Thank you for your help.