View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 02:43 PM
madamekelly

He doesn't want anything fancy and would like to stay in the $100-$300 range. Is that even possible? I guess I'm looking for personal experience with a low-end, reliable machine. I used to have a Kenmore that I loved! But I don't know the quality of them now or even if they're around anymore. [QUOTE]

Walmart usually has at least three models of Brother machines. 12 years ago, I bought the mid-range priced one ($150) and have sewed on it for quilts, clothes, dolls, drapes, etc. and it still works just fine. The biggest problem you have with the lower end Brother machines is that they vibrate alot. I stopped the vibration by putting two old mouse pads under it. Nice and quiet. I think I spent abot $10 buy a "walking foot" for machine quilting. Remember to oil as directed, and she should be quite happy. The three levels at Walmart tend to only differ in the number of fancy stitches they do. Mine does not do letters, but she might like that. I have been using Brother machines for many years, because #1. It is a heavy duty workhorse. #2.The users manuals have lots of pictures and are easy to understand and a good way to learn about the machine sewing world. #3. I do alot of sewing on different materials, and would not want to use my big fancy (expensive) quilting machine (also a Brother) to make canvas floor covers, hem jeans, etc. (I spent way too much on it, since it is computerized, to risk sending it to the sewing machine repair shop). Who knows what that would cost!?) If I did send it to the shop, what would I do everyday until it came home? Cry, that is what I would do. Lol! Good luck.