Thread: Need to LISTEN!
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Aria

I just have to say my little bit... I have an old friend from high school that has hired me to make several quilts. He even got a friend to have me make one for him. From the beginning he told me he wanted me to keep track of every minute I spent on the quilt, which included just thinking about it; travel to the fabric store, wear and tear on the machine, etc. He understood all the time involved and was willing to pay for it. So, there ARE some people out there who value what we do. I also have often quoted a price of $250 - $700, depending on time and fabric, and most people just smile. We both knew they couldn't afford me. Most quilts I make for others are tee-shirt quilts, for graduation. I enjoy making them, and don't expect any payment, and I know my recipients don't realize everything involved, let alone the cost of the material, even for just the backing and batting. Many of us know our clients and know who can really afford to pay the higher price. Sometimes we make allowances.... You just have to know who you're dealing with.