View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 04:42 AM
EmiliasNana

I have never attended a class from my dealer. It either wasn't offered, the machine was used, or I couldn't attend for some reason or another (distance, vacation, etc.) The only one I eventually took at another LQS was a serger boot camp. When I was learning to sew back in Jr. High..........NO ONE was allowed to touch the tension. Learning how to use the serger and constantly adjust the tension was a big ah-ha moment and later helped me FMQ on my mid-arm. No long afraid of tension adjustment LOL

I have also never taken a quilting class. I have learned everything I know from previous sewing experience, books, this board (a big part), friends in guild, or YouTube. I have so many projects, either purchased or in my head, that starting a new project in a class, just for the sake of learning a new technique, seems counterproductive for me. I never make the same quilt twice (hardly ever LOL) and try to stretch my knowledge and techniques that way. I admire all you class attendees, but it's just not me. I am slow and methodical, take my time, read directions and would probably quickly fall behind in class. I attend many retreats with friends however, enjoying the social aspects there and the exchange of ideas and techniques, but I work on my own projects.