Old 05-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Jeanette Frantz

Skylark53,

When I made the quilt (with the red borders) shown in my avatar, the red (at testing) bled very badly). I tried a number of things, none of which worked. In a telephone conversation with my cousin who is a professional quilter, she advised that I find a dye fixative and use it to set the color. Okay, I looked in every store in this town (admittedly not a large metropolitan area) and I found NOTHING. At that point, I began to search on the internet, in particular the website for Ritz Dyes. I found on that company's website, a dye fixative product, which I decided to order and try it (no affiliation with the company). The instructions require HOT WATER. On this quilt, I used the hottest tap water in the washer (top loading). After completion, the fabric was again tested, and there was no bleeding. However, reds and vibrant colors are notorious for bleeding -- I've been told it's because the dyes used are no longer organic, but chemical. If I were washing this quilt pictured on my avatar, I would still use color catchers in the wash. To clean your fabrics, I would probably try warm water, your detergent, and a color-safe, non-chlorine bleach product (like Clorox 2, for one -- there are others). These products will often remove stains from the cloth, without removing the color, and by all means, use color catchers to protect the efforts you are putting forth to make quilts or other craft-type items. I doubt that warm temperatures will harm your fabric, if the fabric is a normally strong fabric. The only thing I can suggest is -- take small pieces of the fabrics and try them. In that way, you are not risking the entire collection of fabric. At this point, there's not much to lose. JMHO!

Jeanette