Thread: LQS Classes
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 07:17 AM
quilterpurpledog

I think this is quite a dilemma for most of us-whether we are the shop owner, teacher or quilter wanting to gain new skills. A shop owner has to think about the profitability. A class, after all, is a teaser to purchase supplies there and usually comes with a ten or fifteen percent discount. I personally like classes that require a book or pattern because it solidifies the class. I appreciate a teacher who has a lesson plan and sticks to it because students want the whole project presented. Slower sewers should be equipted to go home and finish the project. Students should come ready to learn and to have all the supplies needed (from working machine on down) on hand and ready to learn when the class starts. I personally like the supply list available ahead of time so that cutting fabric and marking it with labels can be done ahead of time.Cutting fabric in class is a big waste of everyone's time and intrusive on space. I do think that so many classes are in the internet-free or otherwise- that many people access them. I do it all of the time. I love to go to classes and do so when one fits my needs or schedule. I like the friendship and warm feelings that come from being with others who sew and quilt. I think a survey from the store is essential to provide what is needed and at what cost. Customers, even quilters, are a bit fickle.