Old 05-09-2015, 07:55 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Default Old topic - but may be new to some members -

Some things really do get worn out and it makes sense to replace them:

Some things that I have had to - reluctantly - replace - because they were dull, warped, or otherwise non-conducive to accurate cuts or easy sewing.

Gouged cutting mats - if used a lot - no matter what they brand - they will show that they have been used
Dull blades - if your table knives are sharper than your rotary blade - maybe time to change it?
Dull needles - I really don't mind hand sewing with a slightly curved one - didn't reaiize how dull it was until I started using a new one - the sewing machine does NOT like a bent needle!!l
Worn out ankles to the presser feet - had one that the foot kept falling off of - new ankle took care of that.
Iron that spits or temperature control has gotten wonky
Dull seam rippers
Rulers that had curves worn in them from being used so much - no wonder the cuts were uneven!
Scissors that need sharpening - if Ginghers - send them to the Gingher place
Needles or pins that are dull or have a burr on them- or have gotten rusty - the rust will stain your fabric.
Check to make sure your bobbins are still round. Occasionally one of mine has gotten stepped on or the cat thought it was a toy.
Can/does sewing machine oil go bad? I have some that must be 50 years old.

Check ebay for rotary cutter blade deals and sewing machine needles. I purchased some blades from 123sewinglights (I think) - and they were good.

Last edited by bearisgray; 05-09-2015 at 07:58 AM.