Thread: All thumbs
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Caroline94535

For years and decades, I tried to learn to tat from booklets and magazines. No luck. I did not know anyone that tatted, but I loved the pieces I found in thrift and antique shops.

I finally found a VCR tape at the library. It's now available as a DVD, Tatted Lace from Start to Finishing with Bev Dillon. "Everything you need for learning and improving your skills."

Bingo! It clicked! I could watch her DVD, stop, rewind, rewatch, and practice.

I learned how to tat. I tat! I'm a tatter! And I now have the cutest collection of eight or so darling old tatting shuttles, all of which I use and enjoy.

The DVD is bare bones but packed full of knowledge. Mrs. Dillon's voice is calm, sweet, and soft. The DVD focused on her hands. It's very informative and soothing...far too soothing. The first few times I watched it - I'm ashamed to say, I fell asleep.

Finally I decided to go to bed early. I got up early and rested; I showered, dressed down to the shoes, had breakfast, drank coffee, and put a straight-back kitchen chair in front of the TV. I opened the windows to a crisp Spring breeze, gathered my shuttle and thread, and turned on the DVD. That's when the magic happened; I "got it" simply because she is such a good instructor.

DH, being the jokester he is, sat at the table one morning, picked up my filled shuttle and started tatting himself. He shrugged, "Well this is easy enough!" He had been listening to the DVD and apparently watched it a time or two himself. Silly Boy.

Last edited by Caroline94535; 05-09-2015 at 11:28 AM.