Thread: LQS Classes
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 05:12 AM
EmiliasNana

I have been sewing for probably 50 years and have only taken two classes: a serger boot class (I never had the chance to take the intro class when it was purchased) and a class offered by a well known designer through the guild. The last was okay, instructor personable etc. but never finished the project as the colors just weren't me. I support my LQS by attending their retreat center (adjoining) and purchasing while I am there. I don't sign up for classes because I have more than enough projects in my closet, and in my head to last three lifetimes and don't want to start something else that they picked. My LQS does a fabulous job of bringing people in the door with other activities: play day (all day sewing for $10 with hourly demos on new notions and door prizes), during breast cancer month they request decorated bras which are voted on with all money going to charity, food expo of all local eateries in their gorgeous gardens, guest speakers with truck shows and workshops, and this past week they tried a Red Carpet Rave (simulating the Academy Awards but a Show and Tell for a $10 fee) complete with mic, appetizers, flowers, awards, red carpet runway. Everyone present dressed up and showed off their project and had a vote for Viewers Choice for the best quilt, purse/garment, wall hanging. I was honored to have received the award for best quilt for the quilt shown here on the board: Appliqued Memory Quilt for MIL's 90th

​There are many others, but the idea is always to get people in the shop and then promote their stuff..........which seems to be working. They do offer classes or weekly sew-ins but never really inquired as to their successes.