View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 AM
sassysews2

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
I have been using a Brother 1500 for doing my free motion quilting, but it just doesn't want to do the job. Thread breaking, stitch skipping, and doesn't like going over thick seams... So I'm looking for a machine that will do all of that. I don't want an embroidery machine and it seems that all the new machines are made for that!?!? I hope someone can guide me to a better machine...Thanks.
Have you had this machine serviced lately? I have the Juki TL98Q which is very much like your Brother 1500 & it is a workhorse and FMQ's beautifully. Have you cleaned the tension disc's, may have lint or a tiny piece of thread behind the disc's, this will cause thread breaking, skipping, etc. If your needle is the wrong size for the material that might cause the issue with going over thick seams. I mended jeans recently that were ripped alongside the back pocket. The Juki darned over the pocket seam, the denim patch, & the jean material with nary a hitch. Was going through probably 8 layers of denim and never broke a thread. Yours should do the same. I know it is very frustrating to mess with a machine when it is not working properly but this sounds like a mechanical issue, could be the timing is off, too. But if you just want another machine,( been there, done that), still wouldn't get rid of my Juki, like it much better than my Bernina, & is equal to my Janome 6600P, just doesn't have all the features. Good luck!!