View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 AM
ShirlinAZ

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
I have been using a Brother 1500 for doing my free motion quilting, but it just doesn't want to do the job. Thread breaking, stitch skipping, and doesn't like going over thick seams... So I'm looking for a machine that will do all of that. I don't want an embroidery machine and it seems that all the new machines are made for that!?!? I hope someone can guide me to a better machine...Thanks.
Thread breaking and stitch skipping sounds like a problem with the tension disks. My singer 15 was doing this until I took the tensioner apart and cleaned 75 years worth of lint out of it. My Brother embroidery machine was breaking thread every few stitches. Turns out Brother was using a problematic arm assembly that burred easily (plastic). My local repairman replaced that part with an all metal part and it works great now. As far as going over seams, if that is a recent problem then replacing the arm assembly may correct that also. If you really want a quilting machine, have the space, and can afford one, look into the Babylock Tiara II or the HandiQuilter 16. These are quilting machines only as they have no feed dogs and the presser feet do not lower for general sewing. Pfaff makes some wonderful machines that do not have embroidery attachments. I have a Pfaff Quilt Expression that is my champion for piecing, and I used it for fmq (it has an 11" harp) until DH bought me the Babylock for Christmas. If you want a machine with the very best price and absolutely no fancy stitches that will sew through multiple layers of denim seams, look for an old Singer machine.