View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 02:17 PM
SewingSew

Default Helpful Tips and Tricks

I am a new member who has been reading a lot of your posts, and you are all so talented and such a wealth of information. I am sure that many of you have learned a thing or two in your years of sewing experience. I thought that it would be beneficial to start a thread where you can offer up some of your most helpful tips, tricks, or favorite products. And remember that, even if your idea seems elementary, it might be helpful to a beginner.

I will start by listing a few ideas:

1.) If you are using a serger, and you are missing your cone thread nets, try using knee-high nylons and cutting them into tubes.

2.) To sharpen your dull seam rippers, purchase a fine needle file set, like the ones that jewelers use. Amazon Carries them for less than $10.

3.) When I worked as a seamstress many moons ago, we used single-edge razor blades instead of seam rippers. They are easy to use once you get in the zone, and they are inexpensive.

4.) When hemming pants, and to remove stubborn wrinkles and creases, wet a flour sack type kitchen cloth, wring the water out, and use it as a pressing cloth. I know some people prefer white vinegar, but in the Tailor Shop we just used water.

5.) Instead of cotton batting, use your old towels to make pot holders.

6.) When sewing by hand, run your thread through beeswax to keep it from tangling.

And I read recently that if you fold a piece of aluminum foil into many layers and run your rotary blade through it, your blade will be sharper. I don't know if this works, but I thought I'd mention it.