Thread: $13 a yard????
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 10:41 AM
peaceandjoy

I am fortunate to live in an area where we have quite a few choices for fabric stores. There are not only several LQS w/in an hour drive in any direction, there are also Mennonite stores.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Come visit the Finger Lakes! It's beautiful, lots of things to do and see, and for quilters, lots of stores. At LQS, prices locally range from $8 - $11/yd. The store with mostly $11/yd prices also has a very large sale selection at all times. Mennonite store pricing is lower, but no "ambiance." Prices there are about $2 or $3, at least, less per yard.

I don't often buy backing; when I do it is from the Mennonite stores where it is $11 or $12/yd. Usually I piece mine from sale fabric.

I do suppose it's just a matter of time until those prices creep up to $13 on a regular basis; like everything else, the prices just go up. If that's standard pricing in your area, I'd be shopping online pretty much exclusively.

As far as what the store carries, most stores have to find their niche to be successful. We have one that focuses on orientals, one that carries a lot of moderns, one that is mostly CW - but all carry at least a bit of other styles so there is something for everyone.