View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 03:12 AM
WMUTeach

Although both of my grandmothers used the needle and treadle machines, one only my garments and household items like towels and aprons. The other made me dresses of feed sacking but I recall sleeping with her in a big old dark wood bed that had a quilt on it when I was about 4 or 5 years old. I never saw her make a quilt. As time passed, she left us. I asked my aunt for a single quilt block that was left in her sewing basket. I have no idea why I did not ask for the quilt itself. I have that single block put together by hands. Just two triangles put together to make a diamond. Never forgot this quilt made of multitudes of feed sack diamonds and I am guessing some old shirts and dresses. She was a young mother during the depressions days and I suspect this was her attempt to warm her family. I do not have her quilt but I am now in possession of her treadle machine. At this time, it does not work but it means much to me. I hope to someday make a diamond quilt on her machine. I know I will be tears as I remember this dear woman of strength, wisdom and compassion who plowed with a team and sewed with her needle.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-14-2015 at 03:15 AM.