View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 06:47 PM
MFord

Default Help me Bernina people!

I picked up a Bernina Record 830 in what appears to be a Bernina cabinet yesterday at Goodwill, for $50. A steal, right?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519715[/ATTACH]The machine is bolted in, and can rotate sideways and down to be covered by that nice wooden insert on the right. It also came with a wooden table extension, but it doesn't fit quite right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519716[/ATTACH] We may be able to fiddle with the little brackets holding it up to get it to the right position.

The machine had a light coating of greasy dirt, as though it had sat in a garage for some time. On the inside:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519717[/ATTACH]Not too bad on top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519718[/ATTACH] Wow! Lots of fuzzies!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519719[/ATTACH] I cleaned it, oiled it, and plugged it in. The light turned on. The motor purred.

Then I added thread, a needle, and some fabric. Perfect straight stitches.

Switched to zigzag mode: perfect straight stitches.

Switched to decorative mode: perfect straight stitches!

Help! Something is not connected, I think, but I don't know what it is! Have any of you run into this before? I have two other 830's, and both do the zigzag and the deco stitch. I'd like to fix this myself if I can, because once I take it to the OSMG, it's not such a great deal anymore.

Also - is the cabinet a plus or a minus in this case? I plan to Craigslist it eventually. It didn't come with the red carrying case, or with any extra feet (just 000) although it does have the metal extension table and could perfectly well sit on any kind of table. I'm thinking about keeping the cabinet because it is somewhat awesome, but it's also very heavy and will take up a fair amount of space. Needs some cleaning and touching up, as well.

Ok, sorry that was so long, hope I gave enough info for somebody to help me! Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails bernina-3-cabinet.jpg   bernina-extension.jpg   bernina-dusty-top.jpg   bernina-dusty-bottom.jpg   bernina-clean-bottom.jpg