View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 04:43 AM
GingerK

My mother always sewed. I did not have a 'store bought' dress until I was 16. My sisters remember learning to sew clothing at home--I don't. But I must have absorbed a lot of knowledge by osmosis because I feel I have always known how to use 2 or3 patterns to make a piece of clothing. My mother did not 'quilt' but did make whole cloth bed spread type quilts for my sisters and brother as part of their Hope Chests. It was my middle sister who got me into quilting about 10 years ago and I cannot thank her enough. She encouraged me to take a class from a LQS. My first instructor was wonderful and we made a 6 block sampler, starting with a basic nine patch then going on to HST's, paper piecing and applique. She taught us about safe rotary cutting, 1/4 inch seams, pressing NOT ironing, pressing to one side--which was hard for me to grasp since I really had only sewn clothing.

I felt so honoured a few years ago, when my 20-something year old niece asked me to teach her to sew. My own DD refuses to have anything to do with a sewing machine but my two DGD's WILL sew and quilt because Nana is going to teach them. They love to sit on my lap and watch me chain piece or mend or just do anything with the magical machine.