View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Helen6869

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
For HST I do as others do and measure up and trim. I think we are missing the point here however with her question as while there may be some HST in the quilt there are other blocks that use the 1/8" increment measurement. Personally I have not made blocks using 1/8" increment measurements other than I frequently use 3/8" seam allowance on my bindings because that is the width of my presser foot. Typically, quilting and patterns don't use 1/8" increments.

If I were doing this quilt I would more than likely follow the pattern and tediously cut out the pieces as the pattern maker has directed. She probably did this for a reason that isn't readily apparent to all of us. I think if you don't, you will more than likely run into fitting blocks together problems far greater than the aggravation of measuring 1/8". I would mark my ruler with a thin strip of painters tape so I could readily find my measurement especially if a particular measurement was used frequently. It shouldn't be that much more difficult to cut something 3 7/8" than 4 if your lines are clear when measuring. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Think of how much you are going to cherish the quilt when it's done.
i tend to agree with you about cutting to the exact measurement. I don't know that if you round up and then trim down you will match the other piece's measurement. Does that make sense? Hard to describe what I mean. I think I will cut to her measurements in order to be more accurate with the piecing. Thanks so much to all who have offered expert advice and opinions as well. I do love this board!! Answers ALL my questions. Love you guys!