View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Dkm

I took a class to make an elephant. At the class we got 5 pieces done and then we were on our own to finish. It had 120 pieces. I love making these.

The process is not hard. Instead of using bias tape to make the black lines you use black for the background and build from there. I search the web for stainglass pictures and then modify them. . I enlarge the pattern and number each piece. I make a freezer paper pattern and take a sharpie and make the division lines thicker(this is where your black show through)then transfer the pattern to the black material(#'s also). Using wonder under I cut out each piece and place on the black. I don't iron down until all pieces have been placed(sometimes you change your mind). I use the small mini to iron each piece down first. If you need to move pieces this would be the time. Next make your sandwich(leaving enough on each side to square and put on borders). using mono thread blanket stitch around each piece. Next quilt all pieces. I then square off the piece by cutting of excess black and add borders.
I hope this makes sense, but if you have anymore questions I will be glad to answer.
thank you for your interest.