View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 05:10 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
thanks Mike and JLM! I got to thinking about it and still haven't decided if it's worth it to me - I did like the idea of the cabinet though she said she thought the cabinet needed some work -said the top was scruffy or something.
You're welcome :-)
The tops of those cabinets nearly all have splits in the veneer. You can cheaply (around $30 in Aus so probably much less in the U.S.) obtain replacement veneer. The stuff I last used was American Oak and is iron-on: Very easy to apply. The difficult part is getting the old veneer off. You have to replace all of it, as it gets darker with age and you won't be able to match the shade. Finally, it would have to be French polished (hard work).
You can see why the gentleman himself didn't get around to it.

The alternative is to buy it and be happy with the way it is. I certainly don't mind a few splits in the veneer, but apply some boiled linseed oil and it might make it a bit better (it will 'moisturise' the wood). The cabinet will fit your 66 (redeye) or just about any other full size Singer from the 20th century. The seven drawer cabinets are wonderful for all that storage space (I'd find it hard to fill) and retain their value really well. Oil the cast iron legs (lubricate and clean) and she'll look a million bucks