View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
I see everyone does things differently. I don't get nests. I don't pull the bobbin thread up before I start a line of quilting, I don't pull it up after a line of quilting. When finished the line, I release tension, move the fabric (on my domestic) or the machine (on my long arm), put the presser foot down and do the next section f quilting, still not pulling through the bobbin thread. So what if (no, not if, when) I run over a bobbin thread? When I am finished the quilt, I turn it over, clip all the threads halfway between spans, and bury them. The ones that were run over by later quilting get pulled out from under the over run and get buried just like anything else. If you think you are securing your bobbin threads by pulling them through while quilting and cutting them flush... think it through a bit more thoroughly. All threads really need to be buried in the batting for a 1/2 inch or so to make sure they don't pull out when washed. JMHO tim in san jose
If you bring your bobbin thread to the top you can bury both threads at the same time with a self threading needle by threading them both at once, knotting and burying them both in the same motion. You are creating twice as much work burying top threads and flipping the quilt and burying bobbins. I am glad you never get thread nests. It only took one for me to learn my lesson.
So for me, and for the OP, another reason to bring bobbin thread to the top is so you can bury them both together at the same time if you do it that way. I will lock stitches in place before burying them. I do this by taking several very minuscule stitches back and forth in the ditch or an area where there is already a lot of thread build up. Those threads aren't coming loose, I check. Hey if its good enough for Karen McTavish, who I learned it from, it is good enough for me.