View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 05:41 PM
matraina

Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
My cousin married a bareback bronco rider and I wanted to make them something for a wedding gift. However, not wanting to presume too much and make them a bedroom quilt when I didn't know preferred colors or styles, I went smaller and made them a larger-sized throw. I decided to make it fun and with a bareback bronco theme. I had the pattern for the braids, and got creative with it; I fussy cut the squares in the centers to show boots, hats and horses, and used red, white and blues in the braids. The background is a nice leathery brown, which gives it a lovely warm feeling. I quilted it with feathers, which went well in the long narrow rectangles. Then I splurged and bought the Bernina foot #43 for free-motion cording and went wild around the border. The only problem I ran into was when I had to resize the borders because my first time I apparently kept the braids too taut and the borders were just to big for the quilt. One of my finds that really tickled my fancy was finding a material that looked just like barn boards for the backing! Thanks for looking, and I can't wait to see what they think!
Very, very pretty. Your quilting is beautiful and I love how your quilting on the border looks like a lasso.