Thread: Frixion pen
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 06:29 AM
JoantheQuilter

Thumbs down Frixion Pen

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I ran my own test a couple of years ago. I took about 15 different fabrics and tested the frixion pen on them. I scribbled on them, ironed them them threw them in the washer and dryer. Then I placed them in the freezer. the lines came back faintly on some of them. I re-washed them and put them in the freezer none of the marks came back. I have had the the pen leave a faint line that almost looks like it is lightly bleached after ironing on some darker blues. So far it has always washed out for me.
I have played a little bit with the frixion highlighters. So far I love them for marking multicolor quilts. The will show up on dark and light colors. So far I have had good success. I always test any makking pens I use on scraps before I use it all over a quilt.
Years ago I heavily marked a wall hanging with one of those blue markers that come out with water and had a terrible time getting it out. Lesson learned! Test on scraps first.
I am in the "have one but don't use" crowd. After reading all the pros and cons on this board and others who have used the pen, I just don't think I want to take the chance. The blue water soluble pen works just fine for me. After marking all over my quilt top for quilting and after the quilt is finished, I simply put it into the washer with cold water and let it soak for at least 20 minutes...DO NOT ADD SOAP during the soaking session...then wash as usual. The blue ALWAYS disappears to never return again. Love the blue pen for marking.