Thread: Nelco Amica
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 06:55 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
the larger skinnier bobbin reminds me of the one from my 306 ( I was told it was a common commercial size ) also you might look to what the Necchi's used at the time I seem to remember a connection between Nelco and Necchi, and a dispute about the 206/306 class singer..... just an Idea .....
the relation between nelco & necchi also includes elnas ..a bit of good old american fraud ....

from a necchi site ....
http://web.archive.org/web/200401122...x/History.html

"A man named Leon Jolson had represented Necchi in Poland before World War II. When the war came, he fled to the United States and opened a sewing machine repair shop in New York City. Mr Jolson thought that American women wanted something new in sewing machines and felt that Necchi was the answer. In February 1948, when Necchi debuted the first household zig zag machine (the BU), Leon Jolson and the Jolson Co. became the importers for Necchi, and began selling Necchis from a small rented office on Lower Broadway. It caused a lot of comment, but even though Necchi was a big seller in Europe and Africa, early sales in the U. S. were slow getting started. A few years later, the Jolson Company became distributors for both Necchi & Elna. (Stores called Necchi/Elna Sewing Circles). A few years after that, he started importing Japanese machines and stencil branding them as Nelcos, which he said stood for Necchi-Elna Co., which was what he considered his to be. Necchi & Elna did not see it that way, and both took their machines from him, leaving him with only the Nelco. Then Elna went with White and Necchi went with numerous regional distributors. Eventually, Necchi eased away from the regionals and went with Allyn International."