Old 05-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Sunflowerzz

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Is there any point/condition that you will look at a machine and say - the only place left for it is to be trashed or sold for the metal in it?
Yes, we do get to that point. Like yesterday, I cleaned a machine up, ( I have to clean the outsides first as spotless as possible before I work on them because I like working on a clean surface just like when I am cooking or sewing. She froze up and I had hubby take a look. Half of the teeth on the nylon gear under the bobbin assembly were broken off and in a nice tidy little pile in the bottom of the box so because she wasn't rare or collectible ( she was given to us) we parted her out and was able to complete two other more collectible machines that had been in line for parts restoration.

I've seen some amazing rescues of machines that looked beyond help to me.
Yes, those are the ones that really make it worth the effort. They can be a challenge and I like that, up to a point.

If I buy a machine, I want it to be in good running order and still look decent.
Some of my best saves were atrocious! Good running order and looking decent means much higher purchase prices where I live so I do look for the ones people will pass by, sometimes it is just dirt and rust that looks bad but can easily be cleaned.

I do not have the skills - or desire - to do repairs or reconditioning.
I didn't have the skills either until I joined this forum and then after a few machines under my belt I had the desire too. I even showed a friend how to restore hers and it is such fun. I really enjoy it, except for the motors, electrical and stuck screws, thank goodness for my wonderful hubby... he doesn't like the cleaning, checking, testing and gathering all of the parts together to make a machine whole but I do and he is great with the motors and rewiring electrical and foot controls etc, so it is a great partnership.
Just wondering.
Wonder no more...LOL