View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 02:07 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Okay Ladies.... Here is my twopence worth.

It hurts when I pay exorbitant prices for fabric here compared to the U.S. but I put up with it as I love quilting and would miss it terribly if I stopped. BUT I object to buying piecemeal bits of fabric....... For example, LQS here never seem to carry a full range of fabrics, just the ones the shop owner found appealing.... So I look on line, find some fabrics on a pattern or US site that I love and try to buy them here only to be told that they have only a few fabrics from that particular range. So when you see a quilt made using a particular range that you want to make... It takes weeks to find the fabrics.

Now here is the way to get fabric Customs free! If you have a friend in the US, get them to buy he fabric for you and to post it in a flat rate envelope ($24.95) which will take 6 - 8 yards depending on the length and the fold of the fabric. As the friend purchased it they can legitimately send it to you as a gift which will not incur taxes and customs up to a cost of £75 (I think... But please check the HMRC website).

hugs to all and happy quilting.

Caroline
That is an excellent idea.

I know that I'd do it for you next time I go to the states...I feel for you all.

I know that I buy stuff and send it back to myself here in Poland via boat - and it is cheap as it isn't the mail--takes 3-8 weeks.

The mail is expensive and draws more attention. When I ship to myself, I consider everything I sent used and it is labeled at yard sale prices. We can get (daily) under $45 worth before we pay customs. I would think that it would be the same for you as we are in the EU. If it is a gift, then it is valued at $0, so there shouldn't be any customs charge. (I will readily admit that I pretty much only put fabric that I picked up at thrift stores in these boxes, however. I bring the more expensive stuff in my suitcase/carryon.)

A friend of mine put a value of more than that on some charity lap quilts that she made us. I had to go in, pay $40 or something like that in tax (based on the declared value) and received the quilts (which I could then give away). I told her about it and she will remember to put $0 on the declared value in the future.

Last edited by justflyingin; 05-28-2015 at 02:09 AM.