View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 05:04 AM
mom-6

I remember two quilts and a down comforter from my childhood. One was green and yellow stars. I was so excited a few years ago to find a green fabric just like the one in that quilt. The other was pink and blue four patch. Must have had alternating plain blocks too. Don't know if they were made by my mom or my grandmother. My grandmother died when I was seven years old. My mom took her feather bed and had two comforters made from it, one for us and one for her sister.
Fast forward to my teen years and a double wedding ring quilt top that had been given to my dad long before he and mother married. We had an elderly lady in town quilt it and it was on my bed for many years. I have been collecting fabrics to make a similar quilt. The green like the star quilt is one of those. And then there are the embroidered state flower squares that my mom and her sister had started for their hope chests. I completed those and put them together with sashing as a HS home ec project - my first quilt top. That was also quilted for us by the same lady. My MIL was an avid quilter and gave us a gorgeous Grandmothers flower garden quilt as a wedding gift. That one along with the DWR and the state flowers were well used for many years and retired to a place of honor on a quilt rack before our house burned in 2000.
It was not until about 10 - 12 years ago that I actually got really interested in quilting myself. Now I'm wanting to recreate these special quilts.