Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Freaky_Quilts_Dragon

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'm pretty good about not buying them on a whim - though I'm really bad at trying to talk DH out of a machine he wants to get mostly because it's cheap. He has delusions he'll fix them up and sell them - he may fix them up, but he really does not like the selling part.
For me, I really enjoy reselling. It's exciting to give a piece of beautiful, fuctional history to someone who wants it! It's also exciting to turn a piece of junk into someone else's treasure! Even if it just becomes a decoration, it's still being loved.
Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I figure, if we buy them, that gets others interested in cleaning out the closet or storage shed - and who knows if they may find a real rare gem! I've been heartbroken to learn that someone who didn't know one machine from another junked out (or made into a lamp) a truly rare machine, because they figured no one would want it.
Oh Gods, LAMPS! On eBay a few years ago I saw a Wilcox & Gibbs chain stitch in really good condition turned into a lamp!!! It was so sad that they could have sold it for $250 easily, but turned into a $49 lamp. I'm a firm believer in doing what you want with your stuff, but it doesn't hurt to do a quick internet search first. Otherwise, you can end up spinning gold into straw.