Thread: Do you hide
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 05:38 AM
Bubbie

I took up quilting after I became a widow 20 years ago, so I didn't need to hide my fabric. But when I remarried my new husband (is 20 years older than me), his first wife was not a crafty person. So he thinks you should be able to sew forever with a fat quarter (he almost fell over when I moved in and I had two sewing machines). So to keep the peace in my household, I hide my fabric (I drive an SUV, so this is a little harder). I sew in part of our living room, but I have bins in our spare bedroom. What I have been doing is when a bin is full of fabric and I find I get more (my fabric comes from - a friend who doesn't sew any more, garage sales, thrift stores, the QB and I recycle and up-cycling too), I have started using the vacuum bags. I will load up a vacuum bag and suck all the air out, then it will fit in my bin with LOTS of extra room. Then I will add my new fabric on top, until it's time to fill another bag. When husband sees that I have the same bins, he doesn't think anything of it. I have been doing this a little more over the last year, due to husbands health is starting to fail. I will be his only caregiver, so I will need all the fabric I can get to keep sewing with I'm unable to go out shopping. I know I can buy on line, but I still like to go to the LQS. But VACUUM bags are wonderful