Old 05-29-2015, 06:31 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by NewbieThreads View Post
My mom just gave me this sewing machine, I was able to load the bobbin, and place the thread it all the correct places. But, I'm new at this, I tried to stitch a piece of fabric and I just got a huge knit from the bottom; with only a few stitches catching on top of the fabric

i know now this is an old thread, any advice I'm open to it!!
What Ann31039 says, and make sure someone has not been playing with the top tension knob. I'd change out the needle too. Just yesterday I brought home a Kenmore 158.1227 that seems to have been used a day or less, even the foot pedal looks untouched. After a thorough oiling (hmm, there is a plastic gear in there...), it would not pick up the bobbin thread, rethreaded several times, still wouldn't pick up. I pulled the needle out and laid it on the table, then noticed it did not lay flat. No needle hits on any of the parts, so someone probably pulled hard on the fabric taking it out, or bent the needle taking it out of one of those Kenmore needle packs. A new needle and we're in business! New or old, with every machine I've sewn on, I reach behind the presser foot and hold onto both threads when I start sewing, it prevents the nests and tangles.